The weather is getting cooler, the leaves are turning colors, and the nights are getting longer. It’s the perfect weather for some spooky fall reads! Top ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader. The prompt this week is: Books On My Fall TBR. This prompt is the perfect time to announce that I will be participating in #Victober which is a challenge to read books published in the Victorian era (1837-1901) during the month of October (for more info check out Lucy the Reader’s announcement on YouTube HERE). Along with some Victorian reads I have some creepier new releases I’d like to get to as well, so without further ado here are some of my anticipated fall reads!
1.Wildcard by Marie Lu – The sequel and finale to Warcross (one of my favorite reads of last year) finally released today and it’s next on my TBR!
2.Vengeful by V. E. Schwab – Another book coming out this month that is a sequel to one of my favorite books, Vicious! I can’t wait to get my hands on this one because I need some more Victor Vale <3.
3.Shirley by Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books ever, but I actually have not read any other books by Charlotte Brontë! So I’m excited to finally pick up another book by the author of one of my favorite books.
4. Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë – Another book by a Brontë sister, I’ve actually never read anything of Anne’s although I’ve read her sisters’ popular works (Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre) and felt the pressing need to catch up after I read this amazing article about how ahead of the times her novels were! Agnes Grey was a book written about a governess (before Jane Eyre had been started by Charlotte!) that was often criticized as an attempted “copy” at the time because it was not published until after the aforementioned novel.
5. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë – The last Brontë book on this list, and perhaps the one that Anne is most well known for. I can’t wait to read this book which is often viewed as a criticism of her sisters’ romanization of alcoholic and abusive leading men (and for this reason among others was scorned by Charlotte Brontë herself).
6. Far From the Maddening Crowd by Thomas Hardy – During high school I read Tess of The D’Urbervilles and absolutely loved it, so I’m excited to dive into this one next month! I’ll be watching the newest movie adaptation of this for the Victober readathon as well.
7. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde – I’ve been seeing this book all over the place recently and I’m taking it as a divine sign that it’s destined to be on my Victober TBR.
8. Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor – I loved Strange the Dreamer when I read it earlier this year and was left gasping after the cliffhanger! Can’t wait for the conclusion of this duology.
9.My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, and Brodi Ashton – A retelling of one of my favorite books (Jane Eyre) where Jane Eyre can see ghosts and becomes involved with a ghost hunting society. How perfect is this spooky premise for the month of October?
10. Kingdom of Ash by Sarah. J. Maas – No fall reading list would be complete without the conclusion to the Throne of Glass series! I absolutely cannot wait for this and it’s my most anticipated reads of this year.
What are some books you’re planning on reading this fall?