Top ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader. The prompt this week is: Books to Pull You Out of a Reading Slump! I’m feeling a reading slump coming on myself, so this prompt helped me brainstorm at just the right time. I’ve picked my top five at the moment because I’m struggling to think of more, so hop in the comments and help me out!
1. The Chronicles of Narnia Series by C. S. Lewis – Whenever I’m in a slump, i find that taking a step back and reading a childhood classic helps me recharge. Easier vocabulary and a well-loved storyline and world give the brain the rest it needs before diving back in and building new ones!
2. Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas – This book is one of my all-time favorites so I tend to turn to it a lot when I’m stressed or don’t feel like reading anything else. Aelin’s resilience always inspires me to better myself and work towards all the good things to come!
3. Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Stables – I’m currently working through this series is absolutely amazing (and definitely geared towards adults)! When words get to be a little too much, I like to take a step back and read some graphic novels. The gorgeous images help fill in the world and give you some glorious eye candy ;).
4. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien – Although I love the entire Lord of the Rings series, The Hobbit is the one that I reread the most. The shorter length and the action-packed story help me remember why I love reading so much when I’m struggling.
5. Persuasion by Jane Austen – This book is what I read after strongly disliking a book (especially if it’s a generally popular one). Persuasion is my favorite classic (although Jane Eyre sometimes switches with it based on my mood) and there is something about misunderstanding leading to lost love that I absolutely adore. It’s also a reminder that other people’s opinions don’t mean that you have to change your own (which is something that I struggle with in everyday life)!
Comment below and tell me some of your favorite books to get out of reading slumps!